Saturday, April 3, 2010

"The Poet's Corner"


A purple robe he wore, o'erwrought with gold
With the device of a great snake, whose breath
Was a fiery flame: which when I did behold
I fell a-weeping and I cried, "Sweet youth,
Tell me why, sad and sighing, thou dost rove
These pleasant realms? I pray thee speak me sooth
What is thy name?" He said, "My name is Love."



Then straight the first did turn himself to me
And cried, "He lieth, for his name is Shame,
But I am Love, and I was wont to be
Alone in this fair garden, till he came
Unasked by night; I am true Love, I fill
The hearts of boy and girl with mutual flame."



Then sighing said the other, "Have thy will,
"I am the Love that dare not speak its name."


Lord Alfred Douglas from Two Loves (1894)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.