Sunday, June 21, 2009

"Remembering Love's Journey..."


"My Dad's Birthday - 1972"

It's "Father's Day" and it was on this "special day" two years ago that Stephen Christopher Harris revealed to me the true depth of the cruelty that lives in his wounded heart... I would not have stayed if he hadn't asked me to.

Today, I will visit my father, and he will in a moment of lucid thought, again ask me about Stephen. Stephen knows my father, I introduced him to my dad in January 2007, as "the man I love." We spent time together, the three of us. We shared some meals, we talked about the meaning of life and love, Dad shared the wisdom of his years with us. Stephen said when we were married, my father would live with us... I often wonder if Stephen remembers those days, those promises, those dreams.

I don't know Stephen's father, I barely know his name. Yet, I pray for him everyday, because I love his son.

"This poem is for our fathers; and for me to commemorate the day in 2007 when I should have gone, but stayed because Stephen said so..."


Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Nightby Dylan Thomas


Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

*****

A reminder for Stephen Christopher Harris...

"Fear Eats the Soul"



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may be moderated and will appear within 12 hours if approved.